The first BIHL pottery factory was in Ledvice, now Czechoslovakia between 1896 and 1939. Ledvice is a small place about 10 km south of Teplice. Because kaolin clay and feldspar can be found in the former Bohemia, countless pottery was created there
Bohemia was then part of Austria. In 1896 Gustav Bihl took over the Tonwarenfabrik Robert Hanke. The new name of the factory became Porzellan -, Fayence- und Majolikafabrik (under G. Bihl). In 1906 the factory was reorganized into the Porzellan- und Steingutfabrik G. Bihl & Co., GmbH. In 1918, after the First World War, a new country arose. The Bohemia, Moravia, part of Austria, part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and a northern part were united into Czechoslovakia.
From then on, the word “Czechoslovakia” came into the vote.
In 1934 the GmbH was changed to the Porzellan- und Steingutfabrik G. Bihl & Co., Aktien-Gesellschaft (AG). After Hitler stormed into Czechoslovakia (Sudeten) in 1938, the company had to use the BIHL Sudetengau backstamp and later the BIHL Germany backstamp was introduced. In 1939 the factory ceased to exist. During the war it mainly produced porcelain for the war.
Jug by BIHL | Czechoslovakia 1920's-30's
Shipping & Returns
Place of origin: